View Our Stump Removal Projects
St. Matthews, Kentucky
What is Stump Removal?
Stump removal is the process of eliminating the tree stump by using different methods such as applying chemicals, drilling, cutting, grinding, digging, and pulling it from the ground.
3 Top Reasons to Remove a Stump
Stumps are ugly and can be a nuisance on your property. Here are the top reasons why you have to remove it.
Old stumps that are dirty and rotting are ugly and disgusting. They can look worse when weeds, molds, and vines grow on them. Stumps can be eyesores and can ruin the aesthetics of your landscape.
Stumps, especially the large ones, can take up valuable space. It can block pathways and can be a problem when you want a place for your kids to play safely, or do different activities and social gatherings with your family and friends.
Some stumps are visible but some stumps are hard to spot especially when it camouflages to the ground. It can cause injuries and accidents to you and your family. Nothing is more painful than stumbling over an old tree stump.
5 Ways to Remove a Stump
1. Kill. Drill holes into the stump and apply salt (rock or Epsom). The salt pulls the moisture from the trunk, killing it and accelerating the decaying process. This natural approach takes 6-12 months of the decomposition process, a lot faster than natural rotting which usually takes 3-7 years. Another way of killing stumps is using products that have chemicals that can fasten the process of rotting pesky stumps. These are usually readily available in markets and cost less. Using salt and chemicals might be effective in removing stumps but it still takes a lot of time and effort compared to hiring a stump removal specialist that can do this job for you.
2. Grind. Grinding is the quickest method for killing and removing tree stumps. A stump grinder machine is used to break apart the trunk’s wood and tree roots. This equipment is commonly used by tree care service companies. This process usually takes 2-6 hours depending on the stump’s size.
3. Dig. Digging tree stumps is an effective way to remove them from your property, but it can take you a lot of patience, time, and effort. This method allows you to get rid of the tree’s roots and prevent it from growing again. If done wrongly, it can destroy and ruin your yard or garden.
4. Cut. Another method for removing stumps is to cut and remove the top piece of the trunk with cutting instruments such as a limbing saw or chainsaw and an ax to cut its major roots.
5. Pull. If the tree won’t budge after cutting it, you can pull it by wrapping a chain around it and connecting it to a pickup truck. Make sure that your truck is strong and capable of pulling the stump before you use this method.
Can I Remove the Stump by Myself?
Large stumps can measure up to 12″ in diameter or more. Removing a stump on your own can be tedious and dangerous. It takes a lot of time and effort to effectively remove the stump completely. Some stumps are easier to remove than others, but most require more advanced treatments especially when the stump is too big and with deep roots. It is best to let the pros do this type of work.